Thursday, January 22, 2009

Short Story Readings

Getting Ready-I thought this excerpt was kind of cool because it tied writing poems with Romeo and Juliet. I really liked the sentence when it said, "...it is kind of a possible love affair between something like the heart (that courageous, but also shy factory of emotion) and the learned skills of the conscious mind." because it made things come together much more easier for me and understand the concept of the story much better.
--My favorite quote from this was, "It doesn't matter if risk is somewhere close by-rish is always hovering somewhere." I thought that was really cool because it is basically saying, there is always going to be risk so do what you want when you want it.--

Reading Poems-This poem was a little bit more boring for me because it just talked about how poets now-a-days are writing so much and there are so many of them, that there is absolutely no possible way to track every poem by every poet and read them. Although, my favorite quote in this one is, "To be contemporary, is to rise through the stack of the past, like fire through the mountain." I thought that was pretty strong and moving.

Imitation-"Imitation is a very good way of investigating the real thing." That sentence is very true. Many times we just repeat or "imitate" what other people do. Whether it be on a movie, in a store, or even our parents when we get in trouble and then turn their backs to us and as children, what do we do? We imitate them and, well, usually exaggerate it more, but we make funny faces at them. It is, as they say, second nature for us to imitate things.
--Poetry of the Past and Present-Poets from the past were more stuctured and had rythym with their poems; where as now-a-days, there are so many different versions and types of poems that poets can use to write their poems., Granted, none of them are wrong, it's just that in the past, they felt things needed to be much more structured and follow a certain way.

Sound-I thought this article was interesting because it talked about our alphabet and how we talk and use different words at different times under different circumstances. It is interesting to kind of look back on the things we say and how different they may sound, yet mean exactly the same thing. I like how they wrote out the alphabet and explained when each vowel is used and how. I found that quite interesting.

Robert Frost's Poem-He uses rhyming a lot at the end of each line, the last word rhymes with every other sentences' last word. His poem reminds the reader that he hasn't forgotten what he has written about by bringing the reader back to the beginning at the very end of the poem.

The Name and Nature of Poetry-Personally, I like Blakes poems a lot more than Shakespeare. I feel that Shakespeares' poems are very intellectual and get deep and not very interesting to me where as, I like Blakes. He makes sense out of what he is saying and trying to get across as well as he rhymes. I like rhyming poems better.

No comments:

Post a Comment