Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Barbara Kingsolver's Covered Bridges

After reading this story, I think this couple began believing what many couples believe in these days. They want children, yet they are not sure of the responsibility they hold. Children are a big responsibility and they need lots of care and attentnion.

Aside from that, the couple, as we can conclude, is not the normal couple. They have a different life style than many we know. In the beginning, they meet over the phone because he ingests something poisonous and she is the expert on the poison hotline. He then ends up calling again.

My favorite part was the descriptive part when they were walking up to the Little Pakota "covered bridge." Barbara does such an amazing job describing the scenic area they walk through and all the people they encounter while going up there. I love how she talks about Lena standing there totally encompassed with the little caterpillar and how he manages his life; crawlinlg around all day and then making a cocoon and then living as a moth or butterfly.

The story didn't really capture me until about the fourth page or so, but once I started reading it, I got really into it. With all the detail and little hints of different things here or there, I really liked that.

No comments:

Post a Comment