Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tania Zittoun-MIND Speaker

I was unable to attend the guest speaker last Thursday, April 16. Although, I heard she was very good. What I got from reading Jessica's blog is that Zittoun was very amused with children. More so, that she loved helping them and kind of studying their past to help them reach beyond living with their parents with an $8.00/hr. job. She wanted to help them to become successful and help them in their transition to bigger things in life, such as, college, careers, coping with family/close friend deaths, and things that Americans hold close to their hearts. Big decisions. I found her case study girl, Julia, very interesting. How she was having some difficult times in her life, deciding on a University and actually going, her grandmother passing, and having a close relationship with her parents and having to drop that for school.

I can relate to Julia's story because I am from Minnesota and I came to Colorado for school. My mom and I have a VERY close relationship, as do I with almost her whole entire side of the family. It is very hard not to be able to see my mom everyday, or even a couple days a week. I miss her so much and can't wait until June when I go back. I will be transferring back to Minnesota for that very reason. I miss my family and friends too much. I want to enjoy college, and as much as I am going to miss UNC and the wonderful people here, I would rather be close to home. My family and friends have always been there for me; I don't want to lose that close relationship. Anyways, I wish I could've went to see the speaker, because after reading that, I know I would've been able to relate to some things she was talking about.

Jessica mentioned that Tania had just about the same theory as Tom Turino, but her theory included different aspects, which is very intriguing. To see that they believe the same thing, but yet, in different ways. That just goes to show the cultural differences around the world. People from different places think different things, even if they are in the same field and same idea, their points they put to them may be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment